Trócaire is an International NGO. We work with local partners in the world’s most at-risk communities and with people in Ireland to tackle the underlying causes of poverty and injustice and respond to the crises they create. Together we bring about positive and lasting change for a just world.
Trócaire works in up to 20 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. With the support of the people of Ireland, we work towards five goals:
• Defend Human Rights and Promote Access to Justice;
• Achieve Climate & Environmental Justice;
• Ensure Women & Girls’ Protection, Voice & Influence;
• Save Lives and Protect Human Dignity and
• Mobilise the Public on the island of Ireland to achieve Global Justice.
Working in the Ireland Division, the Volunteer and Events Manager is a member of the Outreach Unit. The role has responsibility for overseeing best practice in volunteer management across Trócaire’s all island Volunteer Programme, managing Trócaire’s volunteer group in the East of the country, providing support to Outreach teams on existing key events and responsibility for the development and management of new events under the Irish Aid funded Global Citizenship Education Programme which will run from 2023 to 2027.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to Head of Head of Community Engagement & Outreach, this is a full time, 5-year contract, based in Maynooth. The incumbent will directly line manage one Volunteer & Outreach Officer, lead Trócaire’s Volunteer Working Group and manage Trócaire’s volunteer and GCE events programmes.
Safeguarding Programme Participants-Children & Adults Trócaire is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives.
Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. All offers of employment will be subject to pre employment checks including satisfactory references and appropriate screening (e.g. police/garda vetting, counter terrorism and anti-trafficking). Trócaire also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and all employees will be subject to this as part of contract of employment.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Strategy development and implementation:
• Lead Trócaire’s Volunteer Working Group to implement the Volunteer Programme Strategy, the delivery of annual work plans and ensure best practice in Volunteer Management across Trócaire’s all island Volunteer Programme.
• Lead on management and delivery of new public engagement events within the GCE Programme and support the Outreach teams with the delivery of key existing events.
• Manage Trócaire’s Volunteer Working Group and the Volunteer and Outreach Officer in the West of Ireland.
• Recruit, manage and support volunteers in the Leinster region to carry out activities, specifically supporting events and promoting Ireland’s aid programme under our new Irish Aid funded GCE programme.
• Work with relevant teams based in Trócaire’s Head Office in Maynooth to secure opportunities for volunteers throughout the year.
• Internally, ensure close collaboration with key cross organisational teams and relevant management fora and externally represent Trócaire on key external networks and coalitions.
• Draft and deliver internal and external monitoring & evaluation (M&E) reports on the volunteer and events programmes, and utilising such reports to report to external funders and for key learning and adaption of the programme.
• Manage the volunteer and events programme budget.
Behavioural Competencies in Line with Trócaire’s Competency Framework
• Leading: Reflecting our values of Participation & Accountability, acts to inspire and lead others to achieve their potential, demonstrating Trócaire’s values with integrity in order to achieve our organisation’s objectives.
• Communicating: Reflecting our value of Participation, being one organisation, communicating clearly and transparently across, teams, units, divisions, locations and other external organisations. Getting our message across with impact.
• Collaborating: Reflecting our values of Participation & Solidarity, partnering effectively as One Trócaire organisation and, in solidarity, maintains positive relationships built on trust and respect.
• Stewardship of Resources: Reflecting our value of Accountability and decision-making around the best use of resources. Using our resources transparently, sustainably, ethically, fairly & with integrity; acknowledging Trócaire’s reputation in the use of resources.
• Delivering Results: Reflecting our values of Accountability & Perseverance, getting a quality job done through effective performance, planning and decision making.
• Continual Improvement & Learning: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, constantly looking to learn and develop self, employees, and partners to better fulfil Trócaire’s’ mission.
• Flexibility & Change: Reflecting our values of Participation & Courage, adapts positively to change and to different ways of doing things; manages or takes part in change processes in a way that is appropriate to role in the organisation.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
Relevant courses and certifications which may include volunteer management, event management, community development and/or equivalent.
1. Three plus years’ experience of recruiting and managing volunteers.
2. Three plus years’ experience in managing public facing events.
3. Experience of delivering projects within established timelines.
4. Experience of monitoring and evaluation, including establishing indicators and ensuring robust data collection.
5. Experience of budget management.
6. Experience in designing and delivering presentations and drafting various types of written communications and resources.
7. Experience using a management information system/customer-supporter database.
1. Effective team management and interpersonal skills.
2. Very good written and oral communication skills.
3. Competent facilitation skills.
4. Effective organisational skills – for planning and delivery of own programme of work while participating in wider programme.
5. Ability to work cross functionally.
6. High level of attention to detail.
1. Ability to work on own initiative and prioritise own work to meet agreed objectives.
2. An understanding and/or knowledge of human rights and related issues.
3. Flexibility – to be willing to work evenings and weekends as required and to travel within Ireland and on occasion overseas when required.
4. Solution-focused and initiative driven with an ability to solve problems through innovative approaches.
5. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders.
Full drivers licence and own vehicle or access to one.
Please apply online through the Trocaire careers page on our website: https://apply.workable.com/trocaire/j/E931E3B774/