JOB DESCRIPTION: FUNDRAISING AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER, FOE
Title: Fundraising and Communications Manager, Friends of the Elderly
Reporting to: General Manager, Friends of the Elderly
Based: Friends of the Elderly, 25 Bolton St, Dublin 1, D01 V6H9
About the organisation:
Friends of the Elderly is an Irish, volunteer-based charity, which was established in 1980 to bring friendship and companionship to isolated, elderly people in Ireland. The organisation is affiliated to and supported by the Paris-based International Federation of Friends of the Elderly. Friends of the Elderly focused on providing a practical approach to dealing with loneliness and social isolation, alleviating its effects by providing social engagement programmes such as Home Visitation, Friendly Call Service, the Social Club and various outings. In 2017, Friends of the Elderly engaged with approximately 450 elderly men and women, with the assistance of 200 dedicated volunteers. The total income from all sources has been around €300,000 per annum.
Friends of the Elderly receives no State funding. Its income is derived from direct appeals to individuals and to corporate donors using both traditional and new media communications methods. Given the great need for its services, the organisation now wishes to expand and, to this end, intends to appoint a full-time Fundraising and Communications Manager.
The Fundraising and Communications Manager will be responsible for communicating the charity’s activities and maintaining and growing existing fundraising income levels from the community, from corporates and from individuals, as well as from others.
This is an exciting role for an individual who enjoys working to target, and is motivated by the challenge of developing new fundraising initiatives, utilising digital marketing, traditional communications methods and social media to maximise awareness and raise the profile of the organisation. He/she will be working with the General Manager, staff and volunteers, Board of Directors and our European Fundraisers’ Group, and will have the opportunity to develop a new, ambitious and innovative fundraising and communications strategy. This is the perfect role for a self-motivated individual who is looking for a new challenge and has relevant experience and knowledge of the Irish not-for-profit sector.
The person appointed will develop and implement an innovative strategy to significantly increase our fund-raising and further raise our public profile through communications and marketing.
Reporting to the General Manager, the post-holder will take charge of individual giving, direct mail, corporate and community fundraising and all campaigns (print, broadcasting and social media). He/she will be able to draw on the wide expertise and experience of Friends of the Elderly Board members and will join our European Fundraisers’ Group.
We offer a competitive salary to an energetic, enthusiastic and creative person who has the right skill set and who truly believes in Friends of the Elderly. The role will be based in our offices at 25 Bolton Street, Dublin 1.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Generate wider awareness of Friends of the Elderly through the development and implementation of an integrated communications and fundraising strategy which incorporates digital marketing, corporate fundraising, direct mail, legacy fundraising and other methods.
- Assist in production of communications materials, press releases and online content, as well as the two direct marketing campaigns that exist in the calendar of activities for Friends of the Elderly.
- Maintain all social media portals and the Friends of the Elderly website to continuously engage supporters, donors and friends of the organisation and develop meaningful connections.
- Liaise effectively with the Manager and staff, the Board of Directors, supporters, suppliers and the media in achieving the fundraising objectives of the Charity.
- Continue to develop the corporate fundraising potential of the organisation, which is a substantial area of growth for Friends of the Elderly.
- Engage in researching, identifying and testing new ideas in addition to the existing fundraising calendar of events and continuously develop the Charity’s fundraising strategy.
- Deliver presentations and pitch proposals to companies, schools, and other groups that may be interested in supporting the work of Friends of the Elderly.
- Maintain office and fundraising accounting procedures through the daily management of Friends of the Elderly database - recording donations and responding to correspondence as appropriate.
- Manage volunteers/ interns to achieve objectives, as required.
Key goals/objectives of the role:
- Increase the profile of Friends of the Elderly by developing and delivering an integrated communications and marketing strategy specific to the organisation.
- Greatly broaden awareness for the Charity online via a fully developed digital marketing strategy
- Develop communications campaigns and materials for the organisation to raise awareness of our profile and generate donations.
- Develop, together with the General Manager and supported by the Board of Directors, a fundraising strategy for Friends of the Elderly that aims to develop a diverse range of fundraising methods for the organisation over time; in particular, including direct mail, public fundraising, community fundraising, corporate fundraising, legacy fundraising and events into the mix of activities.
- Continue to develop and grow the corporate fundraising portfolio that has already been established, continuously developing proposals and pitching to companies that are interested in the work of the organisation.
- Deliver the two direct mail campaigns that successfully fundraise for the organisation every year, and grow the direct communications area to include other campaigns.
- Develop online/digital fundraising activities for Friends of the Elderly, to complement our other campaigns or activities, as well as growing the range of community events that take place annually.
We are looking for someone with:
- Between three and five years’ experience (or more) in the communications and fundraising role in the not-for-profit or commercial sector.
- A very good understanding and keen interest in direct marketing, corporate partnerships and digital communications.
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships in the corporate sector
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to prepare and manage budgets and report on financial performance of projects.
- Strong project planning and management skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative and work to deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Irish not-for-profit sector.
- Excellent computer skills and database management experience.
- Relevant third level qualifications
- Full clean driving license & own car.
- Positive attitude to occasionally working outside of office hours
Reports to: General Manager
Contract terms and conditions
This is a full time position based in-house, subject to performance with a six-month probationary period.
The hours of work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with occasional evening and weekend work. Extra days leave over Christmas/New Year break (on top of 20 days statutory leave)
Salary: competitive, based on experience
This job description is intended to outline key duties and responsibilities for this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and activities required. A flexible approach to tasks which arise that are not specifically detailed in this job description will be required.
Friends of the Elderly Ireland: Fundraising & Communications Manager
Full-time and permanent position.
How to apply
If interested please see a more detailed job description attached or email: [email protected] to receive one by email.
Please send a letter of application and your CV to [email protected] Closing date is Sunday 31st March at 5pm. Interviews will be held on 3rd of April 2019
How to apply for this post: To apply please submit your letter of application and CV in the strictest confidence to: Bernie Curran, General Manager at Friends of the Elderly at: [email protected]
Address: Friends of the Elderly, 25 Bolton st, Dublin 1, D01 V6H9
Phone: +353 1 873 1855
The closing date for applications is 5pm on 31st of March 2019
Friends of the Elderly is an equal opportunities employer.