- Voluntary Position.
- Highly regarded charity addressing homelessness.
- Organisation is greatly expanding its property portfolio.
Cork and South East Simon are approved housing bodies that are working in solidarity with men and women who are homeless in Cork and the South East, offering shelter, housing and support in their journey back to independent living. As a values-driven organisation that seeks to achieve functional zero homelessness by 2030 in the communities we serve, we have more than doubled the number of flats and apartments we own or manage over the past five years to 125, and have plans to significantly increase that amount. At the same time, we plan to further enhance the range and scale of supports available for homeless people in the South East and South West regions.
As we focus on the next chapter of our work, we are looking for someone who has considerable standing in the region to chair our Board of Directors and ensure that meetings are effectively run, all Directors are able to participate, decision making is clear and transparent, and that the Board and organisation function to the highest standard of good practice.
Ensure the Board functions properly
- Ensure impartiality and objectivity at meetings and in decision-making.
- Facilitate change and a good collegial working environment for the Board.
- Facilitate the review of governance performance.
- Ensure Board members work to organisational values.
Ensure the organisation is managed effectively
- To liaise with the CEO, as appropriate, to keep an overview of the organisation’s affairs.
- To co-ordinate the Board to ensure responsibilities for aspects of management (for example, personnel matters, financial control, etc.) are met and specialist expertise employed as required.
- To facilitate change and address conflict within the organisation, liaising with the CEO to achieve this.
Represent the organisation
- To communicate the vision and purpose of the organisation effectively.
- To be aware of current issues that might affect the organisation.
Qualities and skills required to be successful in this role
- Sound understanding of roles and responsibilities of Board.
- Good leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Impartiality, fairness and ability to respect confidences.
- Good timekeeping and ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up.
- Experience of organisational and people management.
- Shares Cork Simon’s vision and values and has the interests of the people we serve at heart.
- Commands respect and who can build effective alliances towards achieving Cork Simon’s goals and objectives.
- Excellent people skills who can build positive relationships with all members of the Board and Simon Communities.
- Undaunted by the challenges and responsibilities associated with the governance of Cork and South East Simon Communities.
- Possesses drive, energy and aptitude for all aspects of the role.
The appointment of the role of Chair of the Board of Directors is being managed exclusively on behalf of Cork Simon by non-profit specialist recruitment firm CCI Executive Search.
If you would like to find out more about this role, please email [email protected] with the subject line “Cork Simon Chairperson” to request the full role description and information pack prior to making your application.
Deadline for applications: 5pm on Thursday 3rd February 2022